CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
SanAntonioCock
TaySC
Ace Dilcock
Master Bedroom
ShutTheSuccop
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Lonnie
PFW79
2020 - Jay Stewart (776)
Best Hash & Rice (479)
A Must Read About Th (374)
Christmas Gift For W (324)
Vote for Hillinski. (159)
Is Fred Phelps in he (47)
AIR FLARE by Boeing' (0)
2020 men's basketball rec
2019 - Chris Steele
DJ Wonnum redshirt?
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley
Belk Bowl
CFN Belk Bowl Prediction
2019 Commitment - Jaylin
The "Cult of Frank&q
The Official USMNT Thread
'Influential Voices' Read

Old 05-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
MWard
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Musings about competitors in ECU Regional

I looked over the schedules and stat sheets for ecu, uncw and ohio st.

Here are some things I found interesting.

ecu
https://ecupirates.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1315
- ecu beat some good teams this year, including uncw.
- ecu did lose the series to USF, and that series was in Greenville, NC, so that might be a hint about how the style of play that Kingston and his old staff/players down there, works against ecu.
- SC, being in the SEC, obviously had a tougher schedule than ecu, and it shows in the SOS rankings. SC #14, ecu #24.
- ecu is a better hitting team than SC, just based on the stats. SC has a better slugging%, but that's about it on hitting statistics.
- SC's Pitchers have a better opp bat % and many more strikeouts, but ecu has allowed fewer walks and runs.
- SC has a slightly higher fielding %

ohio st
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ebl-sched.html
- They played uncw twice and beat them both times.
- They had a better batting avg and more walks, but SC had a much better slugging % and almost doubled their HR total for the season. They also had more strikeouts. Still, their OBP was better. They just had more hits and walks, bottomline.
- SC has better pitching, across the board. They have 1 great Pitcher, (Kinker,)) and 2 other good Pitchers, the rest wouldn't probably play in the SEC.
- Their fielding % isn't even close to SC and they committed more than double the amount of errors we did this season.
- They also weren't close to SC in SOS. #35.

uncw
http://uncwsports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=193
- I rememberd how good of a hitting team these guys were a couple years ago...that's not the case this year.
- Mason Berne and Ryan Jeffers...these 2 guys are responsible for almost 40% of their RBI's. IF a team can get them out or just walk them, there's really not a lot to worry about offensively after that. Those 2 guys can hit though. Sure they have some other guys, but they score runs primarily through those 2 batters.
- They lost games to ecu and ohio st already this season.
- Our hitting is better statistically, across the board.
- Their pitching is better statistically, across the board. They have 2 good starting Pitchers, but they also have a few quality Relievers. Cota drinks Coffee, he's a good Closer.
- Our fielding is better statistically, across the board. They've commited about double the amount of errors.
- Our SOS is much better. #87

Last edited by MWard; 05-30-2018 at 10:44 AM..
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material
Default Re: Musings about competitors in ECU Regional

I think if we don't give them free bases through walks, hit batters, and wild pitches, we have a good chance to win the region.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 200
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

go cocks, no matter what happens its been a succesful year. amirite?
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #4
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 9109643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Thanks for putting that together good read

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #5
RoosterBooster
1st Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockInHell View Post
I think if we don't give them free bases through walks, hit batters, and wild pitches, we have a good chance to win the region.
Agree. I think this is the key.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
SO much truth in this.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1714744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Have to remember that any advantages OSU and UNCW have over us, they have with the benefit of lesser competition. I'd like to think that about ECU, but they have a very similar SOS.
We gotta play and pitch cleanly, and score some dang runs! Do that and I agree, we have a good shot at winning this regional!
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Now is the time for SC to put it all together. Win the regional in 3 games.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post

ohio st
http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/spo...ebl-sched.html
- They played uncw twice and beat them both times.
- They had a better batting avg and more walks, but SC had a much better slugging % and almost doubled their HR total for the season. They also had more strikeouts. Still, their OBP was better. They just had more hits and walks, bottomline.
- SC has better pitching, across the board. They have 1 great Pitcher, (Kinker,)) and 2 other good Pitchers, the rest wouldn't probably play in the SEC.
- Their fielding % isn't even close to SC and they committed more than double the amount of errors we did this season.
- They also weren't close to SC in SOS. #35.
My brain can't comprehend this. How does a team get more walks and hits AND have more strike outs? If you're walking you probably have a good eye and bat control, but if you're striking out so much more, those things are usually not the case. Strange stat, but hey ... that's Baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #10
Spur20001
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Spur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot materialSpur20001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Agree. Free passes have been a major problem all year. This is the main reason our ERA is so high. Hill could be a great pitcher if he had good control. This is his worst enemy. Teams don't hit him well but get many runs because of his walks. He also runs up a high pitch count and can't go very many innings.

On another topic I hate we are facing a LHP in game 1. We seem to do much better against RHP.

Our defense has been excellent. Limit the free passes and we should do well. Pitchers need to trust our defense.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

None of these statistics matter in Game 1 of a regional. In fact, I’d argue that Game 1 is always the most difficult game to win. Many of these teams that get to a regional have one really good pitcher. I remember when we played Manhattan, a 4-seed. We didn’t hit the ball for 7-8 innings. Once they pulled him, we started to string some hits together and ultimately won, but what if they had left him in?

Point is, these teams made it somehow, some way, and I’m of the opinion that you might as well throw out any statistics in Game 1.

Now, Game 2 and beyond is a different story. Depth becomes a factor and higher quality teams run away with it.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #12
COCKYWOOD
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5800
COCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot materialCOCKYWOOD is USC mascot material

I agree, walks have killed us this year. I've never seen our team have so many O-2 counts and end up walking the hitter . Let's be a little more selective at the plate and get a few walks ourselves and let our bats gloves and pitching do our talking.
COCKYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 AM   #13
hank scorpio
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker

Male

CockyCash: 3300400
hank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot materialhank scorpio is USC mascot material

Organized My Abstract Holograms Again...

You heard it here first.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 AM   #14
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Curious who we will start for Game 1. Chapman starting has been working for us all year. But a 4 team tournament is a lot different than a 3 game series. Much more critical to win that 1st game, which means we may see Hill or even Morris get the start.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:24 AM   #15
weatheredxtown
Master of Minutia

Male

CockyCash: 1081372276
weatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot materialweatheredxtown is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
Curious who we will start for Game 1. Chapman starting has been working for us all year. But a 4 team tournament is a lot different than a 3 game series. Much more critical to win that 1st game, which means we may see Hill or even Morris get the start.
I saw somewhere on Twitter today that Hill will get the start
Old 05-31-2018, 10:19 AM   #16
cockyben
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 35863
cockyben has hatched from the shell

Hill will pitch first game-we are schduled to practice at 2pm today,rain to start at 1pm-more bad luck.
cockyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:19 AM   #17
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post

You heard it here first.
I see what you did there.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 PM   #18
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 786631
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

TJ Hopkins took some BP today, but they said he was still sore and that he is still a ways away from returning.
TaySC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #19
CockyandProud
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 7450
CockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post

You heard it here first.
I'm all for good organization. Particularly, this time of year.
CockyandProud is offline   Reply With Quote