CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
ConwayGamecock
CockNJersey
willyb's hotdogs#1
carolina_corpsman
rt3891
Cockhornleghorn
SanAntonioCock
GeoCocky66
Milks26
Champ vs Spurrier (1109)
Don't Underestimate (846)
2019 - Dequan Watts (639)
Bol Bol (321)
NBA Player Hassan Wh (288)
2018 - Black Friday (167)
Tammy Passed Away (154)
Week 12: Around Coll (151)
**USC (5-4) vs. Chat (132)
**USC (2-1) vs. Prov (131)
Tammy Passed Away
High school football has
2019 WBB - Haley Jones -
**USC (5-4) vs. Chattanoo
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc
Champ vs Spurrier
Don't Underestimate Chatt
I see lots of talk &
***Volleyball 2018 Season
2019 - Dequan Watts - UCF

Old 05-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #21
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hosting as a 2 seed?

Also, I think a recent projection has us at NC State now. I guess we will just have to wait and see!
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #22
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
Just to nitpick, they aren’t increasing the number of national seeds to 16. There are still only 8, and there are still 16 Regional hosts. While they won’t put two teams from the same conference in any one of the 16 regionals, sometimes hey way the 1-16 seeds work out, two teams from the same conference can meet in a super regional. Even if they aren’t one of the top 16 teams, a 2, 3, or 4 seed could potentially move in and face somebody from their own conference.
They are actually seeding 1-16 this year, and matching them up accordingly. It was announced in October. 1-8 are simply guaranteed to host the Super (if they win). Previously it was 8 National seeds, and 8 at large hosts, as you mention. But there was no rhyme nor reason as to how the National Seeds and the At-Large host sites matched up, other than proximity. Now it is the way it should have been all along. This is why we can't just worry about not making a top 8 seed, but still be in the mix to host. The 16 seeds conceivably will host their own Regionals.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...moves-16-seeds
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:32 AM   #23
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Also, I think a recent projection has us at NC State now. I guess we will just have to wait and see!

Yeah these projections change every week, so I'm sure they will change again after the SEC tournament.

But if it is NC State, they have a pretty good resume.

They don't have a lot of mid-week losses.

They got a sweep @ Clemson.

And their only two series losses are vs UNC (swept) and at FSU
Old 05-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

i saw one projection that had us in the uconn regional. that looked like cake. if the goal is to get to the supers, i dont care if we travel to uconn.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #25
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
i saw one projection that had us in the uconn regional. that looked like cake. if the goal is to get to the supers, i dont care if we travel to uconn.

As long as itís not in womenís basketball.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #26
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
They are actually seeding 1-16 this year, and matching them up accordingly. It was announced in October. 1-8 are simply guaranteed to host the Super (if they win). Previously it was 8 National seeds, and 8 at large hosts, as you mention. But there was no rhyme nor reason as to how the National Seeds and the At-Large host sites matched up, other than proximity. Now it is the way it should have been all along. This is why we can't just worry about not making a top 8 seed, but still be in the mix to host. The 16 seeds conceivably will host their own Regionals.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/a...moves-16-seeds
Weird! I guess I stand corrected as well lol. Ultimately, I don't think this will make much of a difference, but sure, why not?!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #27
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Yeah these projections change every week, so I'm sure they will change again after the SEC tournament.

But if it is NC State, they have a pretty good resume.

They don't have a lot of mid-week losses.

They got a sweep @ Clemson.

And their only two series losses are vs UNC (swept) and at FSU
Yeah NCSU is a solid team. I feel like they've kinda flown under the radar a little bit, but you're right. Their resume is pretty impressive.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #28
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Sorry for the multiple posts, but I also want to point out how crappy it is that we have to play at 9 PM EST (possibly even later). You would think as the highest seeded team playing today that we would get to play a little earlier in the day, seeing as this is no big deal for a team from Missouri who is the lowest seeded team in the field.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #29
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Weird! I guess I stand corrected as well lol. Ultimately, I don't think this will make much of a difference, but sure, why not?!
I told others a few weeks ago I'd put it out of my head, with how the season was going. Then we started doing well, and I needed a reminder myself LOL.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #30
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 124477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I also want to point out how crappy it is that we have to play at 9 PM EST (possibly even later). You would think as the highest seeded team playing today that we would get to play a little earlier in the day, seeing as this is no big deal for a team from Missouri who is the lowest seeded team in the field.
If you look at what they did, they rewarded the 1 seed by giving them the prime spot of 5:30 PM (Wednesday), the 2 seed got the 2nd best slot of 2, the 3rd seed got the early game and the 4 seed got the late night game since they are the lowest of the seeds to get a bye.

As the 5 seed we match up against the 4 seed, so that's why we are also forced to play in that late night spot.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #31
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
If you look at what they did, they rewarded the 1 seed by giving them the prime spot of 5:30 PM (Wednesday), the 2 seed got the 2nd best slot of 2, the 3rd seed got the early game and the 4 seed got the late night game since they are the lowest of the seeds to get a bye.

As the 5 seed we match up against the 4 seed, so that's why we are also forced to play in that late night spot.
I mean, I get it. Itís just stupid. We could have had the early game today as the highest seed thatís playing today and hen gone on to play on he later game against the 4 seed when we arenít the high seed.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:19 AM   #32
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 57416
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

We hosted as a #2 when Central Florida came here in the early 2000ís (maybe 2001)...
Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #33
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Hey, we keep winning, we might be hosting as a #1 seed. :)
Old 05-23-2018, 12:08 PM   #34
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Rather than save our pitching (as Tanner would do) it looks like this team wants to keep playing and win as many as they can even if they are exhausted by the time they reach a regional.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #35
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Rather than save our pitching (as Tanner would do) it looks like this team wants to keep playing and win as many as they can even if they are exhausted by the time they reach a regional.
With the way the first half of the season went, they really don't have a choice, unlike Tanner's teams.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #36
LBC
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 5500
LBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot materialLBC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah NCSU is a solid team. I feel like they've kinda flown under the radar a little bit, but you're right. Their resume is pretty impressive.
Not sure what 'under the radar' means but NC State has been ranked in the top 5 most of the year. I believe they are currently 10th. They are 40-14 while playing in the tough ACC...27-9 at home. They have a beyond solid team that can score, field and pitch. They get a regional at Doak Field and they will be a handful.
LBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #37
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:

How high do you think USC could get if they go 3-1 or win it all?

If higher seeds go all the way USC's RPI match up is Arky 4, UF 1, Miss 9, and UF 2-#. That is some impressive wins and a tourney win.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #38
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 124477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rioninusc View Post
How high do you think USC could get if they go 3-1 or win it all?

If higher seeds go all the way USC's RPI match up is Arky 4, UF 1, Miss 9, and UF 2-#. That is some impressive wins and a tourney win.
Our RPI should go up some even if we lose against higher RPI teams, BUT a lot depends on what other nonSEC teams do.

If we won the SECT somehow (doubtful, but we'll see), I would imagine we would be top 15 atleast and should host a Regional.

I still can't get over us losing to PC. If we could just take that one loss away I'm willing to bet we would be top 20 already and possibly even top 15.

One thing to keep an eye on are teams like KY (25th) and MSU (26th) that are already out of the SECT. If we win tonight I think we jump both of those teams, plus a few others to get in that 23-24 range.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #39
rioninusc
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Our RPI should go up some even if we lose against higher RPI teams, BUT a lot depends on what other nonSEC teams do.

If we won the SECT somehow (doubtful, but we'll see), I would imagine we would be top 15 atleast and should host a Regional.

I still can't get over us losing to PC. If we could just take that one loss away I'm willing to bet we would be top 20 already and possibly even top 15.

One thing to keep an eye on are teams like KY (25th) and MSU (26th) that are already out of the SECT. If we win tonight I think we jump both of those teams, plus a few others to get in that 23-24 range.
Thanks,

Didn't realize that one loss was that bad. Ouch!
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #40
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
With the way the first half of the season went, they really don't have a choice, unlike Tanner's teams.
disagree. we are good now. lets get the hell out of this tourney and get ready for the regional.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote