CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
TaySC
ConwayGamecock
CockNJersey
willyb's hotdogs#1
carolina_corpsman
rt3891
Cockhornleghorn
SanAntonioCock
GeoCocky66
Milks26
Champ vs Spurrier (1143)
Don't Underestimate (878)
2019 - Dequan Watts (677)
Bol Bol (331)
NBA Player Hassan Wh (291)
Tammy Passed Away (205)
2018 - Black Friday (173)
**USC (5-4) vs. Chat (165)
**USC (2-1) vs. Prov (162)
Week 12: Around Coll (158)
Tammy Passed Away
NCAAF: NOTRE DAME @ SYRAC
***Volleyball 2018 Season
High school football has
2019 WBB - Haley Jones -
**USC (5-4) vs. Chattanoo
**USC (2-1) vs. Providenc
Champ vs Spurrier
Don't Underestimate Chatt
I see lots of talk &

Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #41
GeoCocky66
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 21588
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Hosting as a 2 seed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Our RPI should go up some even if we lose against higher RPI teams, BUT a lot depends on what other nonSEC teams do.

If we won the SECT somehow (doubtful, but we'll see), I would imagine we would be top 15 atleast and should host a Regional.

I still can't get over us losing to PC. If we could just take that one loss away I'm willing to bet we would be top 20 already and possibly even top 15.

One thing to keep an eye on are teams like KY (25th) and MSU (26th) that are already out of the SECT. If we win tonight I think we jump both of those teams, plus a few others to get in that 23-24 range.
Even if we don't jump them in RPI, I believe that we're going to be 'regarded' more highly than them in the NCAA's. One of the announcers on the SEC Network today actually made the comment that he thought only 10 SEC teams might make it in, with UK being the other odd-team-out. I think that's extreme, but they've been kind of weak down the stretch. MSU was all but out of of it until the miracle against Florida.
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM   #42
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
Even if we don't jump them in RPI, I believe that we're going to be 'regarded' more highly than them in the NCAA's. One of the announcers on the SEC Network today actually made the comment that he thought only 10 SEC teams might make it in, with UK being the other odd-team-out. I think that's extreme, but they've been kind of weak down the stretch. MSU was all but out of of it until the miracle against Florida.
UK would be odd man out because of their 13-17 conference record.

MSU finished the regular season 15-15 in conference.

TAMU's conference record is hurting them, also 13-17. But their run in Hoover so far is helping them.

Playing in the best baseball conference in the Nation has it's pros and cons.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #43
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 124477
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

I think this is the year you see a 13-17 SEC team make the postseason. Not sure which one, but the SEC should get 10, possibly 11 teams in.

Last night/this morning, during our game there were several of the commentators that seemed to think KY is in due to their winning of a lot of highly regarded OOC games.

We will see this season if the committee wants to go more by RPI or more by conference record, I suppose. If they decide to almost ignore RPI, then it puts us in the Regional hosting discussion.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:02 PM   #44
TaySC
Household Name

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
They used to also use last 10 games as a factor into deciding who makes the tourney..... i.e. why this seasons team is more deserving with 33 wins (currently) as compared to 35 wins last season.

Whether that is a factor this season or not, I have no idea.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #45
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

Nevermind...they will announce the host sites Sunday night at 9 pm

Selection show is Monday at Noon on ESPNU.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:04 PM   #46
TaySC
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
Question...since they are actually seeding 1-16, and conceivably they would all be able to host, will they even announce "host sites" on Sunday evening as they have in the past? Or just do it all during the selection show on Monday?
I'm not sure myself.

I'm interested in seeing how this all works out tbh.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #47
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
I'm not sure myself.

I'm interested in seeing how this all works out tbh.
I edited my comment. I should have checked the NCAA site first LOL.

It would be nice to be enjoying some celebratory "hosting" beers in Gatlinburg Sunday night.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #48
TaySC
Household Name

Male

What's interesting about that is what if they (just for example) named Columbia as a host site Sunday night, then Monday named us as the 2 seed?

Not that it matters much, but I never understood why they don't do it all the same day.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #49
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
disagree. we are good now. lets get the hell out of this tourney and get ready for the regional.
May be good to be in, but now hosting is back on the table. Need to keep winning.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:12 PM   #50
GeoCocky66
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 21588
GeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot materialGeoCocky66 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
UK would be odd man out because of their 13-17 conference record.

MSU finished the regular season 15-15 in conference.

TAMU's conference record is hurting them, also 13-17. But their run in Hoover so far is helping them.

Playing in the best baseball conference in the Nation has it's pros and cons.
TAMU has the #16 RPI and won their first 2 in Hoover- they're in despite their lackluster conference record. MSU finished .500 in conference, swept Florida AND Arkansas, and is #26 in RPI - they're in. UK got swept by Vandy, lost a late season series to UT-K, finishing 13-17 in conference, and lost (again) in the first round of the SEC tourney. They're hoping that RPI (currently #25) and their 16-16 record against RPI Group 1 teams (including some good OOC games) is good enough. I think it will be, but the discussion about them was interesting. One comment that was true: you wouldn't want to be the #2 seed stuck having to face Sean Hjelle in the opening game.
GeoCocky66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #51
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
What's interesting about that is what if they (just for example) named Columbia as a host site Sunday night, then Monday named us as the 2 seed?

Not that it matters much, but I never understood why they don't do it all the same day.
Just like 2001.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #52
TaySC
Household Name

Male

I'm still of the opinion that we need to either lose and not burn many arms or win the whole danged thing. If we win say 1 more game and go 2-2 in this tourney, I think it will have just been a waste (with where we stand this season only).
Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 PM   #53
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
Not sure what 'under the radar' means but NC State has been ranked in the top 5 most of the year. I believe they are currently 10th. They are 40-14 while playing in the tough ACC...27-9 at home. They have a beyond solid team that can score, field and pitch. They get a regional at Doak Field and they will be a handful.
I just feel like they arenít a highly discussed team. A very quiet Top-10 team in my opinion that just takes care of business.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote