CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
etowngangsta
Rogocop
Cockadoo
ConwayGamecock
Spur's Addiction
RGHoskins
TaySC
Cockygaming
TastyLicks
2020 - Deron Reid (500)
Worst year in Human (376)
Critiquing the WORST (321)
Belk Bowl (193)
No man has ever made (178)
Ranking the Bowl Gam (154)
2019- Olivia Thompson
Mumps outbreak at Carolin
The "Cult of Frank&q
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
Stephen Garcia to Ryan Hi
Will Grier skipping bowl
2018 Signee - Tyquan John
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley

Old 05-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #41
TaySC
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 786631
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material
Default Re: NCAA SELECTION THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pty23 View Post
We had the exact same SEC record last year with an RPI of 31...as far as Iím concerned KY has no argument.
Anyone on the bubble never really does have a lot of an argument. (Same with MBB tbh.)

I was a little surprised to see so many same conference potential matchup for the Supers.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #42
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Anyone on the bubble never really does have a lot of an argument. (Same with MBB tbh.)

I was a little surprised to see so many same conference potential matchup for the Supers.
I think itís pretty smart to do that. The committee probably doesnít want 3 or 4 teams from the same conference in the CWS, so better to have them knock each other out.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #43
TaySC
Household Name

Male

TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

My thought is that you rank them 1 through 16 in the order they fit and then you let the chips fall where they may. I don't think you should try to stop a conference from having numerous CWS teams, but I also don't think you have to avoid conference matchup prior to Omaha. So however they fall once you do the 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc...
Old 05-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #44
CapitolCock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
My thought is that you rank them 1 through 16 in the order they fit and then you let the chips fall where they may. I don't think you should try to stop a conference from having numerous CWS teams, but I also don't think you have to avoid conference matchup prior to Omaha. So however they fall once you do the 1 vs 16, 2 vs 15, etc...
Yeah, in a perfect world.
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #45
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 170240220783
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

My pathetic memory tells me we have failed this same test b4, with a loss to the Pirates..... or was that a Super?

Either way, we better bring it from the 1st pitch, all hands on deck!
ucan'tlickourcocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #46
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I donít think I realized Ray Tanner was the chair of the Selection Committee. Thatís pretty awesome.

I guess Clemson fans will use that to say thatís why they didnít get a Top-8 seed haha.
Either that or Clemson finished 3rd in the ACC tournament - and the ACC was down this year.

I like playing ECU in all sports - good competition without the inflated egos that you get with the Tobacco Road schools.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #47
jcausc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
jcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervous

Is there a certain protocol if Carolina and 2 seeded Southern Miss advance out of their regionals to who gets to host the Super this year or will the NCAA choose last minute like in previous years?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #48
Alumni2012
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Alumni2012 has feathers coming inAlumni2012 has feathers coming inAlumni2012 has feathers coming in

Quote:

Thatís exactly how they do it now. ECU is the #12 overall seed and paired with Arkansas, the #5 overall seed. The committee is no longer suppose to match up based on location. Look at Coastal this year. In years past, there is no chance they would be sent all the way to Cali for a Super.
Alumni2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #49
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5200
spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcausc View Post
Is there a certain protocol if Carolina and 2 seeded Southern Miss advance out of their regionals to who gets to host the Super this year or will the NCAA choose last minute like in previous years?
I want to say if both two seeds win, the two seed that beat the top 8 seed gets to host unless that team has sub par facilities.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #50
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurfan93 View Post
I want to say if both two seeds win, the two seed that beat the top 8 seed gets to host unless that team has sub par facilities.
Arkansas looked damn good in the SEC tourney I doubt they get beat in their regional
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #51
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Quote:
YardCocks vs Ohio State
Greenville Regional - Game 1
Friday, June 1, 2018
2:00 PM
I enjoy each and every time we have a chance to beat either Michigan or Ohio State.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM   #52
kathym
4-Star

Female

CockyCash: 500
kathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudlykathym is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
My pathetic memory tells me we have failed this same test b4, with a loss to the Pirates..... or was that a Super?

Either way, we better bring it from the 1st pitch, all hands on deck!
We played there in the 2009 Regional and lost 10-9 in the Regional final.
Thoughts from those who went to that regional as far as facilities, number of Carolina fans, etc?
kathym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #53
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

spurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot materialspurfan93 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Arkansas looked damn good in the SEC tourney I doubt they get beat in their regional
Oh I agree. I was just saying if Southern Miss were to win and SC comes out of Greenville that's what I think usually happens.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:35 PM   #54
jcausc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
jcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervousjcausc is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Makes sense. I believe Southern Miss has hosted before so it shouldnít be a problem for them.
On another note, looking at our regional, I believe anyone can win this thing. ECU has beaten some quality opponents such as UNC (2 games of 3) and UConn (2 games of 4), weíre one of the hottest teams in the country, I donít know much about Ohio State but they have beaten some decent teams in the B1G, and UNCW is obviously the best 4 seed in this tournament. Itís a tough regional but could be one of the best draws for a 2 seed in the tournament.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #55
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
That's not how it works. The Super goes to the team with the higher bid, regardless of who beat the top 8. Example, us hosting the Super in 2016.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #56
TaySC
Household Name

Male

Yeah, if we win the ECU Regional and ARK loses theirs, I betting we are the higher seed and would get the bid.

EDIT- both teams would be 2 seeds, but I'm betting that we would win the bidding war and host.

Last edited by TaySC; 05-28-2018 at 05:35 PM..
Old 05-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #57
spurfan93
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
That's not how it works. The Super goes to the team with the higher bid, regardless of who beat the top 8. Example, us hosting the Super in 2016.
That's not an example. SC hosted a regional and won as a 1 seed. Oklahoma State beat Clemson as a 2 seed. That's why we hosted.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #58
TaySC
Household Name

Male

Never have understood where some of you guys get this information about whoever beats the National Seed, then automatically hosts. It's simply not accurate.

This is from before this season and some things are changing, but here is one examle:
Quote:
Super Regionals are played at eight locations throughout the country and consist of the 16 surviving teams, matched up by predetermined regional pairings. National seeds cannot meet each other in the super regional and are guaranteed to host. If the national seed in the bracket is eliminated in the regional stage, the super regional will be played at the higher seeded team's field. If the two seeds are the same, the Super Regional will be bid upon by the two competing teams. If the national seed wins the regional but is unable to host, the Super Regional is awarded to the other regional winner in its bracket. This scenario played out in 2015 when national seed Missouri State could not host a Super Regional because the minor league Springfield Cardinals, which have scheduling priority at the stadium where both teams play, were playing a home series at that time. The Super Regional was thus awarded to Arkansas. The two teams play a best-of-three series to determine who moves on to the College World Series. Although one school hosts all three games, the teams split home-team status in the first two games, with the host school batting last in the opening game and first in game 2. If a third game is needed, a coin toss determines home-team status. Ole Miss is the only school to host three Super Regionals without advancing to the College World Series under the current format. Florida State has lost five Super Regionals as host, but has also advanced to the College World Series five times under the current format.
In this case, if we were to go against USM for the Supers, anyone think we wouldn't outbid them to host?

In fact, here is where this same discussion was held on this site, 2 years ago.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?p=4750883
Old 05-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #59
M.C.
Gamecock4Life

Male

CockyCash: 9109643
M.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot materialM.C. is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to M.C.

Just happy to be in after the terrible start we had to conference play .. way to finish strong cocks

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.
M.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #60
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Anybody know if Hopkins or Ridge Chapman will be available? Weíre gonna need everyone if we want to win this regional.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote