CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
Spurticus
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
TastyLicks
markp_vip
PFW79
ConwayGamecock
Tigertime
USC's Defensive Line (1025)
CFN rankings 130 to (841)
2020 WBB - Hoopgurlz (357)
brake pads changed f (239)
Home Team Bar-B-Que (223)
Will the Gamecocks S (219)
Sirius/XM just bough (200)
for those of you tha (171)
Best college town fo (143)
Isaiah Johnson slams (130)
Home Team Bar-B-Que In Ch
2020 WBB - Hoopgurlz (ESP
USC's Defensive Line
2019 - Michel Dukes
Don't Run Your Mouth, Ken
OrTre Smith limited
Isaiah Johnson slams into
2019 WBB - Jordan Horston
2019 Commitment - Cameron
We're going have our hand

Old 06-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #41
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: MLB Draft

Cortes I think is pro bound.
Hill is in a tricky spot...his draft place is valued at $500K...nothing to scoff at.
The question is can he improve his stock with another year and get to that $1 mil signing range?

I'd lean to him signing....but you never know.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #42
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

CockyCash: 200
tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Cody Morris gets picked in 7th rd (223 ovr) by Cle. Indians

Last edited by tcmac08; 06-05-2018 at 05:42 PM..
tcmac08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #43
scfastpitch
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
scfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot materialscfastpitch is USC mascot material

I'm sure both Hill & Cortes came to a verbal agreement or they wouldn't have been drafted in the first ten rounds . That's the way it works nowadays .
scfastpitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #44
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

Not sure what will happen with our guys that got drafted, but it's got to be a nice ego bump going into the series of the year against ARK.

Nobody to impress. Just relax and do your job.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #45
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 70000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Hoping we get a few of these guys back, but can understand them leaving IF they don't feel they can raise their draft stock any higher.

Cortes, with a great season, could move his higher, but I simply don't think he can be consistent from beginning to end of a season.

Hill, IMO, could greatly improve his position with Meade working with him. I think the kid has a ton of room to grow...

Owen White would be crazy not to take the cash........

Of the players currently on the team, I'm dead serious when I say that IMO Cody Morris would be the biggest loss. Next year, with a little more development, he would be a Friday night ace.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #46
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

tcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot materialtcmac08 is USC mascot material

Only one player that was a college sr (kid from Wofford) was drafted in the first 4 rds. That is because they do not have the bargaining power that Jrs and below have. Unless Hill improves tremendously next year, with a brand new team, then this is as high as he will be drafted. If you add in the fact that he had arm trouble this season, then it would be best for Hill to sign this year and get his professional career off and running.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #47
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

Madison Stokes goes 10th rd (287 ovr) to Phil. Phillies
Old 06-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #48
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 70000
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmac08 View Post
Madison Stokes goes 10th rd (287 ovr) to Phil. Phillies
Happy for the Senior.

$142.6k slot.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM   #49
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
Happy for the Senior.

$142.6k slot.

Yep. he needed this season to be relatively injury free. Had a small hiccup, but he was able to overcome it and put up some good numbers
Old 06-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #50
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

Whelp-that is all for the first 10 rds. All the other rds(11-40) will start tomorrow at noon.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #51
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Cortes I think is pro bound.
Hill is in a tricky spot...his draft place is valued at $500K...nothing to scoff at.
The question is can he improve his stock with another year and get to that $1 mil signing range?

I'd lean to him signing....but you never know.
Hill is as good as gone, he'll be a senior next year which means he'd probably have to accept well below slot value due to a lack of leverage. Morris and Cortes are the two interesting ones, they both have another year of leverage since their both sophomores so them coming back to improve their stock makes more sense. I think they're both gone though.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:42 AM   #52
MWard
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
Hill is as good as gone, he'll be a senior next year which means he'd probably have to accept well below slot value due to a lack of leverage. Morris and Cortes are the two interesting ones, they both have another year of leverage since their both sophomores so them coming back to improve their stock makes more sense. I think they're both gone though.
I didn't expect Morris to go in the Top 10, so that makes this interesting. He would have 2 years left. But they took him in the 7th, but it's only a $185K slot value. Still I think they usually vet the offer for the guys in the first 10 Rds (especially the higher Rds.)

So I'm inclined to think he takes it...but I feel like with the way he performed this year, if he has a similar or better year next year, he'll actually go up in Rd's and money. I could see him as a 3rd-4th Rd next year pretty easily with a good progression and no injury.

Now Hill and Cortes, yeah, I think they are gone. Same with White and Taj.

Glad to see Stokes get some $.
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 AM   #53
tcmac08
Three-toed sloth

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
I didn't expect Morris to go in the Top 10, so that makes this interesting. He would have 2 years left. But they took him in the 7th, but it's only a $185K slot value. Still I think they usually vet the offer for the guys in the first 10 Rds (especially the higher Rds.)

So I'm inclined to think he takes it...but I feel like with the way he performed this year, if he has a similar or better year next year, he'll actually go up in Rd's and money. I could see him as a 3rd-4th Rd next year pretty easily with a good progression and no injury.

Now Hill and Cortes, yeah, I think they are gone. Same with White and Taj.

Glad to see Stokes get some $.

I think Morris could move up to fringe first rd status if he comes back. His last few outings were very impressive :

-----7+ innings against a top 15 ECU team (5 hits/2 runs)
-----7 inning 5 hits no earned runs against A&m on the road
-----7 hits 3 hits / no runs against Mizzou

Build on those outings and cut down on some walks and he would have a much bigger payday next season. However, money in the hand is a guarantee and if he has a couple of more big outings on the biggest stage, his leverage may get him a bigger payday this season anyways.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:01 AM   #54
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

In order of most likely to be gone:

1. Hill
2. Cortes
3. Morris

I think the only one I can really hold out hope for is Morris since he is a sophomore and this is his first true year of SEC pitching but he's most likely gone as well. He, Hill, and Cortes were always going to go in the top 10 rounds so it's not really a surprise. We could have a solid group starting three next year of Morris, Mlod, and Chapman if he came back.

Really hope we can get Blaze into school. Instant starter at SS and the strongest arm in his class in the field.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:08 PM   #55
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1600
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Couple signees taken in the 11th and 12th. Blaze Alexander and Josiah Sightler
Ironfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:21 PM   #56
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

I guess we better hope we make Omaha this year if all these starters are leaving.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #57
Ironfan
Household Name

Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

LT Tolbert 13th round to the DBacks
Old 06-06-2018, 01:44 PM   #58
Ironfan
Household Name

Lawson in the 12th to Nationals
Old 06-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #59
Ironfan
Household Name

Ridge Chapman to Nationals RD 17
Old 06-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #60
Ironfan
Household Name

Bride RD 23 by A's