CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Three and Out
etowngangsta
Rogocop
Cockadoo
ConwayGamecock
Spur's Addiction
RGHoskins
TaySC
Cockygaming
TastyLicks
2020 - Deron Reid (500)
Worst year in Human (376)
Critiquing the WORST (321)
Belk Bowl (193)
No man has ever made (178)
Ranking the Bowl Gam (154)
2019- Olivia Thompson
Mumps outbreak at Carolin
The "Cult of Frank&q
2019 - Tyron Hopper - Flo
2019 - Chris Steele
2019 - Jaydon Hill - Flor
Stephen Garcia to Ryan Hi
Will Grier skipping bowl
2018 Signee - Tyquan John
Rumor Mill: Bobby Bentley

Old 06-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
MWard
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 94820
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Musings about Arkansas

Just looking at the stats and their schedule, here are some things I found interesting.

- Obviously, we are 1-3 against them this season.
- SC was the only SEC team to beat them in Fayetville though.
- They only lost 3 homes games this season.
- Their hitting was significantly statistically better than our's this year. They beat us in about every stat, except Doubles and Strikeouts.
- Our Pitching levels are more closely matched, they have a slight edge in some categories, we have a slight edge in others, but they do have more Strikouts and a lower team ERA.
- Our Fielding has been better. They've commited about 50% more errors.
- Their strength of schedule is better, #2 vs #12.

Summary: our pitching should even out, our fielding is a little better, but their hitting has been a lot better. We are going to need to play great at the plate to keep pace. Our pitchers are going to have to play their best. On paper, this matchup should solidly favor arkansas...so we are going to need to play at our best, or hope that they don't play on avg how they've been playing at home.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/st...18/OVERALL.pdf

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ason_stats.pdf
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #2
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Musings about Arkansas

While I appreciate all these statistics, its really a new season anything can happen just have to get hot and we can win it. I think it helps weve seen their pitchers before and I think playing 7 inning games in their place helped them. If we played like we did against Vanderbilt and Ole piss I think we can take the series. You know all our seniors Row, Stokes, Bride really want this series.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

We're a lot better team than we were in the second week of April, which was right before the PC loss.

No chance for a series with them in Hoover.

Should be a nice couple of dogfights over the weekend.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:02 AM   #4
rabid cock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 24763
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWard View Post
Just looking at the stats and their schedule, here are some things I found interesting.

- Obviously, we are 1-3 against them this season.
- SC was the only SEC team to beat them in Fayetville though.
- They only lost 3 homes games this season.
- Their hitting was significantly statistically better than our's this year. They beat us in about every stat, except Doubles and Strikeouts.
- Our Pitching levels are more closely matched, they have a slight edge in some categories, we have a slight edge in others, but they do have more Strikouts and a lower team ERA.
- Our Fielding has been better. They've commited about 50% more errors.
- Their strength of schedule is better, #2 vs #12.

Summary: our pitching should even out, our fielding is a little better, but their hitting has been a lot better. We are going to need to play great at the plate to keep pace. Our pitchers are going to have to play their best. On paper, this matchup should solidly favor arkansas...so we are going to need to play at our best, or hope that they don't play on avg how they've been playing at home.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/st...18/OVERALL.pdf

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ason_stats.pdf
Discounting the game in the SECT (you know that is our bane), in our series against them, although we scored a total of three runs in the series, they scored only 7, and this was in the midst of our 20-17 swoon. We have not lost an SEC series since.

I think we surprise everyone (not quite) and take two of three to advance to the CWS. We are peaking, and they will take us slightly for granted.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Arkansas is going to be a tough team to beat, but we played them really tough during the regular season and that was before we realized we could play a little ball. If we can come out and take Game 1 I think that'd be a huge shot of momentum for our guys. It wouldn't completely kill things since we took game 1 during the regular season, but coming off a sweep in the Regional it would send a clear message that Carolina Yardcocks are here.

I really hope this weekend it's being pounded into the team's head that we took 1 game, and although we were shut out the last 2, we held them to 3 and 2 runs in each game. Meaning, we kept ourselves in the games and just needed a couple of hits. Since that weekend the bats have really awoken, so if we can catch some fire at the plate, I really feel good about making it back to Omaha. Just getting battling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #6
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

Should be a heck of a series.

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
Discounting the game in the SECT (you know that is our bane), in our series against them, although we scored a total of three runs in the series, they scored only 7, and this was in the midst of our 20-17 swoon. We have not lost an SEC series since.

I think we surprise everyone (not quite) and take two of three to advance to the CWS. We are peaking, and they will take us slightly for granted.

No "they" won't. Not with Van Horn as head coach. That's crazy talk man.

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Gamecockman12
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 11156
Gamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot materialGamecockman12 is USC mascot material

Going to be an extremely tough series. Arkansas is lights out at home. Regardless of what happens this weekend I'm still thrilled with the season that we had this year.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Arkansas is going to be a tough team to beat, but we played them really tough during the regular season and that was before we realized we could play a little ball. If we can come out and take Game 1 I think that'd be a huge shot of momentum for our guys. It wouldn't completely kill things since we took game 1 during the regular season, but coming off a sweep in the Regional it would send a clear message that Carolina Yardcocks are here.

I really hope this weekend it's being pounded into the team's head that we took 1 game, and although we were shut out the last 2, we held them to 3 and 2 runs in each game. Meaning, we kept ourselves in the games and just needed a couple of hits. Since that weekend the bats have really awoken, so if we can catch some fire at the plate, I really feel good about making it back to Omaha. Just getting battling.
I had forgotten how close the regular season series was until I looked. And I think that was before we got everyone healthy and started hitting the ball better. They could blow us out, but I don't think that will happen.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Expect a tough one.
Arkansas is playing very well right now, and Fayetteville is not an easy place to play.

They are 42-18 for a reason....staff has a 3.47 ERA, nearly 5:2 K to BB ratio, and opponents have an OBP of .310.

They get on base about 40% of the time, but strikeout 2x as much as they walk. Team bats about .300 with 4 guys in double digit HRs.

A typical Van Horn team...good pitching, strong hitting with decent defense at .972.

On our end...sub .300 avg, K:BB ratio about the same, only get on base about 36 percent of the time, with a higher staff ERA at 4.21 and about a 5:2 K to BB ratio.

Give Arkansas the edge in hitting, a slight edge in pitching, but Carolina the edge in defense (.982).

On paper, ARkansas should be favored...won't be shocked if this goes 3 games.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Expect a tough one.
Arkansas is playing very well right now, and Fayetteville is not an easy place to play.

They are 42-18 for a reason....staff has a 3.47 ERA, nearly 5:2 K to BB ratio, and opponents have an OBP of .310.

They get on base about 40% of the time, but strikeout 2x as much as they walk. Team bats about .300 with 4 guys in double digit HRs.

A typical Van Horn team...good pitching, strong hitting with decent defense at .972.

On our end...sub .300 avg, K:BB ratio about the same, only get on base about 36 percent of the time, with a higher staff ERA at 4.21 and about a 5:2 K to BB ratio.

Give Arkansas the edge in hitting, a slight edge in pitching, but Carolina the edge in defense (.982).

On paper, ARkansas should be favored...won't be shocked if this goes 3 games.
Very predictable response on my part, but the series will come down to:

Who walks hitters less
Who hits with RISP

We were lucky to against UNCW to win with our RISP numbers. We won't win against ARKy if we repeat that.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post

Reading some of their fans post I can say they will not take us slightly for granted.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Very trug Hog. He knew his big lead was not safe in the SEC Tournament.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
92Pony
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1714744
92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material92Pony is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

Who walks hitters less
Who hits with RISP

We were lucky to against UNCW to win with our RISP numbers. We won't win against ARKy if we repeat that.
This is very true.
92Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:40 PM   #15
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post

Who walks hitters less
Who hits with RISP

Very true. Given how low scoring the regular season series was every base runner in the SR will be like gold. Our best bet is to grind it out and make them throw a bunch of pitches and force them to play defense.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #16
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 985410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
Very true. Given how low scoring the regular season series was every base runner in the SR will be like gold. Our best bet is to grind it out and make them throw a bunch of pitches and force them to play defense.
And bunt more
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #17
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material

We strand too many runners because guys swing for the fence instead of trying to make solid contact and get them home.

That may be our Achilles with ARK this time. Who knows?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #18
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4700
Ph/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Super Regional is already sold out... looks like it's well anticipated by the local fans.
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
We strand too many runners because guys swing for the fence instead of trying to make solid contact and get them home.

That may be our Achilles with ARK this time. Who knows?

Really? I've actually liked our approach at the plate, and haven't seen one person swinging out of his shoes. I wasn't a fan of LT going up after 2 men were hit and his first pitch was a ball and then chasing one out of the zone last weekend, but outside of that, I think most guys really had good approaches at the plate. We hit a lot of really hard balls straight to guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #20
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Really? I've actually liked our approach at the plate, and haven't seen one person swinging out of his shoes. I wasn't a fan of LT going up after 2 men were hit and his first pitch was a ball and then chasing one out of the zone last weekend, but outside of that, I think most guys really had good approaches at the plate. We hit a lot of really hard balls straight to guys.
The story of Jacob Olsen's season.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote