CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
SC Gamecock
2k15
FurmanCock
Blackland
Cockypantherfan
Order 66
Garnet&BlackOp
carolina_corpsman
AtlGAMECOCK
Cartiaze
**USC (1-1) vs. Vand (13087)
Watching Orange Luth (532)
UCF (357)
Johnathan Gipson (330)
Radio Station in Gre (195)
MBB off-season overs (132)
AAC (131)
Lamb on the grill (98)
**USC (1-1) vs. Vanderbil
Week 4: Around College Fo
Will the Gamecocks Score
Lamb on the grill
Official 2018 Atlanta Bra
Remembering Kenny
What happened to UNC foot
Is It Just Me.....
Radio Station in Greenvil
CFN: South Carolina vs. V

Old 06-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
kingofnerf
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 10500
kingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot materialkingofnerf is USC mascot material
Default Re: Musings about Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Really? I've actually liked our approach at the plate, and haven't seen one person swinging out of his shoes. I wasn't a fan of LT going up after 2 men were hit and his first pitch was a ball and then chasing one out of the zone last weekend, but outside of that, I think most guys really had good approaches at the plate. We hit a lot of really hard balls straight to guys.
I like the aggression, too, but it's one of those "hero or the fool" things.

Great if it works, meh, if it doesn't.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #22
rabid cock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 24763
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
No "they" won't. Not with Van Horn as head coach. That's crazy talk man.
No it's not...

it's hopeful.

An' there ain' nuthin' wrong wid dat.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #23
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
CockyCash: 1514690
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
Super Regional is already sold out... looks like it's well anticipated by the local fans.
The fans know it's going to be a tough series. If you like watching a competitive game, this is the super regional you will need to watch.

I would actually like to be playing anybody else than South Carolina trying to make it to the World Series.

Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #24
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Hey Beer Man 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Hey Beer Man 
Hog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot materialHog is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
No it's not...

it's hopeful.

An' there ain' nuthin' wrong wid dat.
Nope there ain't. Uz right.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #25
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
I like the aggression, too, but it's one of those "hero or the fool" things.

Great if it works, meh, if it doesn't.
Yeah, but there's a big difference in being aggressive and attacking each pitch, and swinging for the fences. When you swing for the fences, usually you'll see guys flying open with their head looking at the cute girl in the 2nd row. Being aggressive and if the first pitch is your pitch, is just knowing what you're looking for and attacking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #26
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 13324
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

We were 1-3 against Arky, but Hill and Morris pitched really well against them - we just could not get anything going at the plate. Bad weather and shortened games had something to do with that - heck, we win half of our games in the 8th and 9th, and we did not play those innings in the two losses at Fayetteville.

The game at Hoover was a case of a Freshman pitcher not rising to the occasion - two early walks followed by a three run jack. But we battled back and scored some runs, so that should give our hitters confidence.

If Hill and Morris pitch well, we might not need a Freshman starter for Game Three.
Ace Dilcock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Yeah, but there's a big difference in being aggressive and attacking each pitch, and swinging for the fences. When you swing for the fences, usually you'll see guys flying open with their head looking at the cute girl in the 2nd row. Being aggressive and if the first pitch is your pitch, is just knowing what you're looking for and attacking it.
As Carlos was in the UNCW game.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #28
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

We could win this, but the home field is a huge advantage that they have.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #29
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Went through the stats from the 4 match ups and here's what I found in the weeds.

Game 1 - 3-2 us, we had 12 hits to their 13 hits and we had 2 errors to their none. Their 2,3,4 batters went 7 for 15, but their 7 spot left 6 on by himself (could have been a completely different game). Our hits were much more spread out and we only left 8 guys on to their 12 men left on.

Game 2 - 3-0 them, we had 3 hits to their 4 and neither team had an error. We only had 2 guys get a hit.

Game 3 - 2-0 them, we had 1 hit to their 4, and we had an error.

And a reminder, both Game 2 and Game 3 only went 7 innings each

Now the SEC Tourney match up - 13-8 them, we each had 11 hits, but they had 5 errors to our 1. The main difference in this game was their 5 and 6 batters went 4 for 8 with 3 home runs and 8 RBI ... that won the game for them..

Another thing I noticed is game 1 Chapman started and went 4 innings with 7 hits and gave up 2 runs. Chapman also started in the SEC Tourney match up and went 1.1 innings giving up 3 hits ... but wait ... 6 runs! They also got the rest of their runs on Hunter Lomas and Parker Coyne. Both of which have the fewest amount of innings pitched this season (outside of Hinson with 5.2 and Lee with 1.1)

This Super Regional is going to come down to keep their middle of the lineup relatively contained, while getting hits with runners on. I still feel strongly that we're going to go into Fayetteville and play really good Baseball and make it an exciting Super Regional to watch. Arkansas is a really good Baseball team, but so are we.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #30
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
As Carlos was in the UNCW game.
Exactly, they started him first pitch fastball the first 4 at bats and he just reached out and poked it into right field every single time. Didn't try to do too much, but he saw what he was looking for and went out and got it.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Went through the stats from the 4 match ups and here's what I found in the weeds.

Game 1 - 3-2 us, we had 12 hits to their 13 hits and we had 2 errors to their none. Their 2,3,4 batters went 7 for 15, but their 7 spot left 6 on by himself (could have been a completely different game). Our hits were much more spread out and we only left 8 guys on to their 12 men left on.

Game 2 - 3-0 them, we had 3 hits to their 4 and neither team had an error. We only had 2 guys get a hit.

Now the SEC Tourney match up - 13-8 them, we each had 11 hits, but they had 5 errors to our 1. The main difference in this game was their 5 and 6 batters went 4 for 8 with 3 home runs and 8 RBI ... that won the game for them..

Another thing I noticed is game 1 Chapman started and went 4 innings with 7 hits and gave up 2 runs. Chapman also started in the SEC Tourney match up and went 1.1 innings giving up 3 hits ... but wait ... 6 runs! They also got the rest of their runs on Hunter Lomas and Parker Coyne. Both of which have the fewest amount of innings pitched this season (outside of Hinson with 5.2 and Lee with 1.1)

This Super Regional is going to come down to keep their middle of the lineup relatively contained, while getting hits with runners on. I still feel strongly that we're going to go into Fayetteville and play really good Baseball and make it an exciting Super Regional to watch. Arkansas is a really good Baseball team, but so are we.
Plus, we're playing with house money. I believe all the pressure is on Arkansas. We need to go out there, not think (it can only hurt the ballclub), not lollygag, and just have some fun.

It's a simple game. You throw the ball. You catch the ball. You hit the ball.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #32
Ph/JDCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 4700
Ph/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot materialPh/JDCock is USC mascot material

Interestingly, the anonymous coach who scouted us for Baseball America's preview of the Fayetteville Super Regional said, "Iím not so sure they werenít the most talented team we played other than Florida."

Although I am not sure that I buy that, I was encouraged that the coach gave credit to our talent and coaching and didn't perceive our success as just an average team getting on a hot streak at year's end (in the years we won the CWS, it always galled me that the prevailing sentiment among the anonymous coach/scouts was, "Not sure how they're here... their pitchers have average stuff and their offense is unspectacular. They must just be lucky to win 20+ straight post-season games!").

The preview is an interesting read regardless.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-fayetteville/
Ph/JDCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #33
Hog
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:

Check out Cack! I'm impressed! That game one with 12 left on base was huge in the out come. If I remember correctly, I think we (Arkansas) had bases loaded a couple of times with one out and did not score. And Blaine Knight left with the lead that game.

Any who, gonna be a great series. I'm heading to Disney World Saturday morning, hoping I will get there in time to watch the game. When I get back, I will brag to y'all if we win, or take my punishment if we lose.

I've told y'all this before, Casey Martin (3rd Baseman) is from my hometown of Lonoke. My youngest son graduated with him from High School and are good friends. I've known him since he was small. Good kid, good parents.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #34
CapitolCock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000002258
CapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot materialCapitolCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph/JDCock View Post
Interestingly, the anonymous coach who scouted us for Baseball America's preview of the Fayetteville Super Regional said, "Iím not so sure they werenít the most talented team we played other than Florida."

Although I am not sure that I buy that, I was encouraged that the coach gave credit to our talent and coaching and didn't perceive our success as just an average team getting on a hot streak at year's end (in the years we won the CWS, it always galled me that the prevailing sentiment among the anonymous coach/scouts was, "Not sure how they're here... their pitchers have average stuff and their offense is unspectacular. They must just be lucky to win 20+ straight post-season games!").

The preview is an interesting read regardless.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-fayetteville/
Kind of a weird assessment since so many other experts on this board continued to say that this team had zero talent and that it would be totally acceptable if we didn't make the tournament at all because Holbrook (or whatever the excuse of the day was).
CapitolCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #35
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
Check out Cack! I'm impressed! That game one with 12 left on base was huge in the out come. If I remember correctly, I think we (Arkansas) had bases loaded a couple of times with one out and did not score. And Blaine Knight left with the lead that game.

Any who, gonna be a great series. I'm heading to Disney World Saturday morning, hoping I will get there in time to watch the game. When I get back, I will brag to y'all if we win, or take my punishment if we lose.

I've told y'all this before, Casey Martin (3rd Baseman) is from my hometown of Lonoke. My youngest son graduated with him from High School and are good friends. I've known him since he was small. Good kid, good parents.
I'm a Baseball guy. Played it my whole life and playing in an adult wooden bat league now. It's the one game that you can look at stats and it basically tells you everything you need to know.

Have fun with the rodents.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #36
Wingman
Season tix since '88

Male

CockyCash: 200
Wingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot materialWingman is USC mascot material

Just checked the weather for Fayetteville - looks good all weekend including Monday.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:27 AM   #37
zcoop
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1001405007
zcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPit

Just win dammit!
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:57 AM   #38
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I think we drop the first game, win the second, and drop the third. Just a gut feeling. I know none of you wanted to hear that.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:32 AM   #39
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 993410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I think we drop the first game, win the second, and drop the third. Just a gut feeling. I know none of you wanted to hear that.
I am so glad you are not on the team or the coaching staff!
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:32 AM   #40
Wisercock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:

Great analysis. Control the middle of their order and play error free baseball. Anything close will go their way. Hopefully, our hitters have figured out their pitching.

Not sure I would start Chapman again. Is that still the plan?